Awards and Conferences
It's nice to be recognised for the good work we do for our clients. In many ways the awards are as much theirs as ours, and that’s the way it should be. There are too many to list, so here are a few highlights.
Beaton Client Choice Awards
- Best Provider to Government & Community
Engineering New Zealand
- Appointment to President of ENZ board - T+T Group Managing Director Tim Fisher
- Excellence in Environmental & Sustainability Award
- Supreme Asset Management Excellence Award (Piritahi)
- Excellence in Water project (Papakura Water Treatment plant)
ACE New Zealand Awards:
- Gold award - 36th America's Cup Infrastructure Project (Wynyard Edge Alliance)
- Silver award - The National Climate Change Risk Assessment (AECOM, Tonkin + Taylor, NIWA, Latitude, Victoria University of Wellington, Lincoln University)
- Merit award - Plexus 5.0
- Honorary Life Membership - Doug Johnson
- Supreme Award and the Engineering Impact Award - The National Climate Change Risk Assessment
- Engineering Leadership Award - Doug Johnson
Arthur Mead Awards
- Wynyard Edge Alliance - Winner
- Emerging HR Practitioner - Sona Valesyan
- Silver Award - Holmes Consulting and Tonkin + Taylor for the Christchurch Town Hall
Pacific Cooperation Foundation (PCF)
- Top Pacific NZ Scholar - Design Services intern Vensel Margraff
- Excellence in Strategic Planning Award - National Resilience Programme Business Case for Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency
- Best Paper Award - Chris Shanks and Andy Thomas
- Tonkin + Taylor and CODATA - Rapid Damage Mapping tool
- City Rail Link (Link Alliance)
Beaton Client Choice
- Best Consulting Engineers in Australasia (A$50M-$200M revenue category)
QuakeCoRE and New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering (NZSEE)
- Women in Earthquake Engineering Award - Natural Hazard Resilience Engineer Virginie Lacrosse - the first recipient of the award for her tireless research into liquefaction in the aftermath of the Canterbury earthquakes
Engineering New Zealand
- Fellowship - T+T's Technical Director (Dams and Rivers) David Bouma
Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Fellowship - Executive Leader Clients + Brands (Clients) Simonne Eldridge
- Chartership and membership - Geotechnical Engineer Jen Smith
Ministry for the Environment’s National Climate Change Framework
- Appointment - Senior Natural Hazards Specialist Bapon Fakhruddin
NZ Green Building Council
- Future thinker of the Year Award - Sustainability Consultant Kate Boylan
NZIA Wellington Architecture Awards
- Kumutoto Pavilion (T+T provided the geotechnical, contaminated land and coastal services)
- Board appointment - People + Capability Director, Kavita Khanna
- Excellence in Strategic Planning - Climate change specialists, James Hughes, Bekah Robertson, and Morgan Lindsay for the Excellence IPWEA Award (LGNZ sea rise risk exposure report)
Waikato Local Authority
- Appointment to Waikato Local Authority Shared Services Panel for all LASS discipline areas (July).
Insurance Association of Consulting Engineers
- Honorary life membership - Corporate consultant, Terry Kayes
ACENZ Project Celebrations (August)
- Waitangi Wharf, which upgraded a critical lifeline for theChatham Islands won gold, T+T lead inputs in design coordination, planning, geotechnical, coastal, structural and ecology services.
- Waterview, which completed the Auckland Western Ring Route, also won gold, T+T provided a full breath of its services.
- NCTIR which restored access to Kaikōura after the earthquake was awarded silver.
- PwC Wellington Centre also won a silver award.
World Meteorological Organisation
- Honours - Senior Natural Hazards Specialist, Bapon Fakhruddin for his work on coastal inundation forecasting
TVNZ Marketing Awards 2019
- Best Internal Marketing Strategy- OCM Re-engineered
Clean Air Council of Australia and New Zealand (CASANZ)Dinner (September)
- Natural resources engineer, Jenny Simpson, won the life member award.
- Air quality consultant, Robyn Butler, was award the emerging air quality professional award.
Water New Zealand Conference
- Young Author of the Year Civil engineer, Caitlin Cairncross
Waikato Business Awards
- Finalists - John and Jodi Leeves and Bruno Naskovski for humanitarian stockpiling and logistics
- Best Contaminated Land Paper Geotechnical engineer, Chris Hillman
- Appointment to the position of secretary for a new executive team - Natural Resources Engineer, Jenny Simpson
- Appointment to CASANZ council Environmental Consultant, Rob Van de Munckhof
Engineering NZ Revitalised Awards (ENVI) 2019 (November)
- NCTIR won the prestigious Impact Award and the SupremeAward.
- T+T projects were also finalists in the Leadership category, Impact category, and Innovation category.
University of Auckland’s Top 40 under 40
- Geotechnical Engineer, Sjoerd Van Ballegooy for his work during liquefaction during the Canterbury Earthquakes (November).
Resource Management Law Association Awards 2018
The NCTIR planning team (led by T+T specialists) that worked to restore transport links following the November 2016 Kaikōura Earthquake won the prestigious RMLA Project Award. The team was acknowledged for "consenting and implementing the construction and recovery work in sustainable manner in challenging, and at times contentious, circumstances"
2018 Wellington - Love Cycling Awards
The Haywards interchange project team picked up the Road Biking Infrastructure Award for the inclusion of a high speed cycleway late in the design phase. The Judges said this work, "raised the bar".
ACENZ Innovate Awards of Excellence 2018
Canterbury Earthquakes Complex Land Damage - Assessment of Increased Liquefaction and Flooding Vulnerability - Gold
Cyclone Winston Rapid Disaster Mapping - Merit
Temporary Works for The Recovery Of Container Operations, Thorndon Container Wharf - Merit
Civil Contractors NZ Excellence Awards 2018
- CCNZ Award for Excellence ($20M-$100M) Waitangi Wharf Upgrade, (Chatham Islands)
- CCNZ Award for Excellence ($5M-$20M) Temporary Works for the Recovery of Container Operations - Thorndon Container Wharf (CentrePort, Wellington)
Beaton Client Choice Awards 2018
Tonkin + Taylor - joint winner Australasia's Best Provider to Construction & Infrastructure, alongside Geotechnical Engineering Consultants Douglas Partners
David Leong was inducted as a Fellow of Engineering New Zealand
ACENZ Innovate Awards of Excellence 2017
Taumanu Reserve GOLD
Construction Excellence Awards 2017
Waterview Connection - Supreme Award (projects over $100m). Client: NZTA. Award recipient: Well-Connected Alliance including T+T
Aniwhenua Dam - Supreme Award (projects under $5m). Client: Nova Energy. Award recipient: Waiotahi Contractors including T+T
IPENZ Awards 2017
T+T’s Geotechnical Technical Director, Dr Sjoerd van Ballegooy won the IPENZ Freyssinet Award – the Supreme Award for Building & Construction, for his work in the area of liquefaction science following the 2010 - 2011 Canterbury Earthquake Sequence
Resilience Engineer, Virginie Lacrosse was a finalist for Young Engineer of the Year for her work on liquefaction hazard mapping since the Canterbury Earthquake Sequence
Dr Tim Fisher was inducted as an IPENZ Fellow
New Zealand institute of Landscape Architecture Awards
Pukeahu National War Memorial Park won the Supreme Award. The Judges said, "As both a staging ground for national remembrance and a sophisticated piece of urban infrastructure Pukeahu has been beautifully crafted and succeeds at every level. This complex, multi-layered design has been executed with a clarity of vision, confidence, and restraint; the park offers much to the people of, and visitors to, Wellington. The reverent Pukeahu is a place of utmost value to all New Zealanders" - Pukeahu National War Memorial Park.
Taumanu Reserve (Onehunga Foreshore Restoration Project) was awarded excellence for Te Karanga o Te Tui - acknowledging projects that demonstrate best practice Iwi engagement, design expression or adherence to Te Aranga principles. - Taumanu Reserve (Onehunga Foreshore Restoration Project).
New Zealand Planning Institute Awards
- Marje Russ, Reuben Hansen and Emma Brosnahan were honoured for their Ministry for the Environment policy work titled 'Risk based approach to Natural Hazards under the Resource Management Act.
Civil Defence Emergency Management Awards
- Tonkin + Taylor and Tauranga City Council were joint winners of the Director's Award for Innovation. This award is given for "exceptional innovation or creativity that has pushed the boundaries of current CDEM practice in New Zealand" and was awarded for the work T+T and TCC has pioneered in tsunami evacuation planning.
Pukeahu National War Memorial Park - ACENZ Merit Award
Taumanu Reserve (Onehunga Foreshore Restoration Project) - IPENZ Arthur Mead Environment & Sustainability Award
Canterbury Geotechnical Database - ACENZ Gold Award
Dr Sjoerd van Ballegooy and team - Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI) Outstanding Paper Award for research paper Assessment of Liquefaction-Induced Land Damage for Residential Christchurch
Beaton Client Choice Awards 2016
Tonkin + Taylor - joint winner Australasia's Best Professional Services Firm (revenue $50m - $200m) alongside Australian law firm, Lander & Rogers
Australasia's Best Consulting Engineering Firm (revenue $50m - $200m)
Australasia's Best Provider to Government and Community (all professional services firms, Australia & New Zealand)
Best New Zealand Firm (all professional services firms, New Zealand) - And the winners are...