Graduate + Intern Opportunities
At Tonkin + Taylor (T+T), you’ll find much more than just a graduate job. You’ll find people: over 1000 bright individuals who are committed to making a difference through positively impacting people and our environment. We’re passionate about what we do, we love a good challenge, we care about our planet and we’re fond of a good morning tea (or ten)!
At T+T we love people for who they are and want to see them achieve their goals. Our people are provided with the opportunity to develop both professionally and personally through working on a diverse range of interesting projects.
Don't just take our word for it - check out what some of our graduates have to say!
Check out what Alex has to say about the opportunity to work in NZ and Australia.
Perks of being a T+T Graduate
- Learn from an array of award-winning engineers, scientists and consultants
- Work on projects that shape the communities throughout New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific
- Experience our people-first culture, which includes awesome social clubs and many morning teas!
- Professional membership funding with support and encouragement to become chartered
Our Graduate Pathway
At T+T we know that everyone is unique, and because of this our graduate pathway is flexible for wherever you want to take your career!
To support your learning our graduate pathway includes:
- A wide range of training sessions focussed on developing your expertise, strengthening relationships and best positioning you for business success
- Buddy support: pairing you up with an established T+T professional to provide you with invaluable support and accelerate your development
- Professional Development Goals for deciding which skills you are looking to sharpen, how fast you want to learn and where your skillset will take you
You'll also have the opportunity to be involved in some of our great graduate development programmes, including:
Graduate Mentoring Programme: designed for you to develop and acquire new skills while in a supportive environment learning from a senior T+Ter
Graduate Rotational Programme: This gives you the opportunity to spend six months in a different sub-discipline during your second year at T+T, and is the perfect opportunity for growth and development
Our Application Process
We understand that applying for graduate roles can be daunting and take up a lot of time, so we aim to keep our process as simple as possible and will keep you updated all the way through!
1. Apply online
We look for graduate with inquisitive and enthusastic minds from a range of degree backgrounds who are looking for a supportive and inclusive place to start their career!
As part of the application we'll ask you for your CV, academic transcript, and some questions so we can get to know you!
Once you've applied our recruitment and managers will review your application considering a range of different aspects.
3. Graduate Experience Morning + Online Assessment
Leave your phone on! Our recruitment team will be getting in touch to let you know you're through to the next stage, this will just be a short online assessment followed by a T+T Experience Morning in one of our offices! This morning will include an interview, a group activity, information session and lunch. This is a great opportunity for you to learn a bit more about us. In some locations we may have standard interviews instead of Experience Mornings.
If you receive an offer from us - congratulations! Our recruitment team will be giving you a call to give you all the details you need to know. If you were not successful after our Experience Morning, our team will still get in touch with you to give you some feedback. Once we have made selection decisions offers will be given in May.
Open: Monday 17th July
Close: Monday 14th August
Open: Tuesday 28th February
Close: Sunday 2nd April
Most of our graduates start in February, however, we are flexible and do our best to accommodate different start dates.
Our Summer Internship Programme
Every year we take on about 30 interns throughout New Zealand from a range of different backgrounds, that are eager to learn and work working in a supportive, exceptional, and collaborative environment.
An internship at T+T provides you with a range of opportunities to put what you have learnt at university into practice as well as work with award-winning experts! Some of the highlights of our internships are:
- Our annual intern induction where you will meet the other interns and learn everything about T+T
- You'll be paired with a buddy who will help guide you through your time at T+T and show you the ropes (such as where to get the best coffee from!)
- The opportunity to take what you have learnt at university and put it into practice and work alongside experts in the field!
Similar to our graduate pathway, we only accept online applications for our internship programme.
After reviewing all the applications our recruitment team will get in touch with you to organise an interview.
Our summer internship programme runs from mid-November through to mid-February. Our graduates tend to join in February although we are flexible and do our best to accommodate different start dates to suit our graduates.
When you turn up on your first day you will participate in our induction process where you will meet all the other graduates and get to know everything and anything about T+T.
On this day you will also meet your buddy. Your buddy will help to guide you through your first experiences and show you the ropes (such as where to get the best coffee)!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. I have already graduated, can I still apply for a graduate role?
Yep definitely, especially if you have taken a gap year, are completing an overseas experience or pursuing further study. If you have more than a year of relevant work experience or currently on a graduate programme, we’d recommend keeping an eye out for experience hire opportunities instead.
2. At what stage in my degree do I need to be to apply for a summer internship?
Most of our interns will be in their penultimate year of study at the time of their internship but we do employ students who still have 2+ years of study to go before graduating too. If you are in your final year of study or have already graduated then check out our graduate vacancies instead.
3. I am an international student, am I eligible to apply?
You are eligible to apply for our graduate and summer internship roles if you are legally entitled to work in New Zealand on a permanent basis. For more information please visit https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visa
4. What are T+T looking for in graduates and interns?
We look for really well-rounded individuals (no, it isn’t just about grades!). This includes students with work experience, extra-curricular activities, achievements, sports or team experience, clubs, community or volunteering involvement, strong interpersonal skills and problem solving ability.
5. What salary can I expect as a graduate?
We ensure that our base salaries are highly competitive with other consultancies. On top of your base salary, you’ll also receive:
- Paid overtime as per policy
- KiwiSaver (on top of base salary)
- Graduate transition allowance
- $500 annual wellbeing allowance which you can spend on anything related to Wellbeing (think yoga classes, dentist bills, new golf clubs, a spa day….anything!)
- A whole range of other benefits including travel insurance, airline memberships, wellbeing programmes, monthly staff drinks and long service leave
- Personal career development – courses, mentors and guides
- A contribution towards and assistance with professional membership rewards
I can't find the answer to my question?
No problem – email email@example.com and we’ll get back to you.